Information on the Czech Republic for tourists » market towns outside of Prauge

market towns outside of Prauge

Aug 03, 2005 22:36 | Alan Bride

Hi There,

For Christmas can you suggest any good market towns that we can travel to via train, we are staying at the Hotel city Inn next to the station and thought that a trip outside the city would be great, we like to explore and we have young children, who would like to experience the christmas atmosphere in the markets.

Thanks Alan.

Aug 09, 2005 19:18 | Patrick

Hi Alan,

While pretty much every major Czech city (i.e. Brno, Ostrava, Olomouc, etc.) has a very nice Christmas market, nothing tops the markets in Prague. The biggest is at Old Town Square, and, in my opinion, the nicest is at Namesti Miru (it just seems cozier for some reason). The market at Namesti Republiky is a bit gauche for my taste, while the Wenceslas Square market (down at the Mustek end) is a bit too manic.

(If you haven’t been to Prague yet, don’t worry about the Czech locations I’m throwing at you here – the city is surprisingly easy to negotiate with a half-decent map).

Having lived in Brno, I can also recommend the Moravian capital’s market (situated in Namesti Svobody, or Freedom Square). I don’t know how you plan on getting around, but if you rent a car it’s about a 1.5 to 2-hour drive from Prague. If you plan on using another mode of transportation I recommend taking the train. If you don’t take a EuroCity train it’s a bit cheaper than the bus, but the extra cost of an EC train isn’t so bad, and it’s a much more pleasant ride.

If you decide to go to Brno by bus, then definitely go with Student Agency – there’s a toilet on the bus, and they usually show a movie (in Czech, but you may be able to request English subtitles) and offer snacks.

Once again, if you have any more questions pertaining to your trip to Prague, please feel free to post them here or email me directly.

Cheers,

Patrick

Aug 09, 2005 19:26 | Patrick

oops – just noticed that you plan on traveling by train. Pardon my hasty reply…

The train to Brno can take anywhere from 2.5 to 4 hours (approximately) depending on whether you get a EuroCity train.

This page will help you schedule your train departures/arrivals wherever you decide to go: http://www.idos.cz/ConnForm.asp?tt=c&cl=E5

Cheers,

Patrick

Jan 02, 2007 23:05 | Chantal Seale

We will be in Prauge for only one day.

Mar 18, 2007 00:11 | breenBen

I have found out the useful information for me, thanks a lot.

Post reply | Back to topic list

Arrival: Nights: Room: Currency: Wish List ?