Accommodation in Prague » Christmas in Prague

Christmas in Prague

Oct 30, 2005 00:40 | Laroy

Me and my wife would like to travel to Prague during the Christmas period. What’s Prague like during the period?

Are all the shop close on 24th, 25th & 26th?

Any special event?

Jul 31, 2006 18:21 | nicole

Hi,

I am thinking of going to Prague this christmas. Did you end up going last christmas? How was it and do you have any tips?

Oct 07, 2006 19:07 | Nemmy

Hi, I’m also planning on going near to Christmas so any recommendations etc would be gratefully received!

Oct 09, 2006 18:22 | Martin

It very good time to visit Prague around Christmas time.

First, accommodation in most of Prague hotels, pensions or hostels are very cheap thanks low season period, which ends around Dec 27.

If you come around Christmas do not miss Prague Christmas markets, which are one of the best street markets in Europe. Main place with biggest Christmas tree is in Old Town Square.

And if the winter will be as lucky as last year, Prague will be covered by snow and that is very exciting. Enjoy some pictures of Prague from last winter:

Christmas tree in Wenceslas Square

Christmas tree in Prague Old Town Square

Lesser Town covered with snow

St. Nicholas Church in Prague Lesser Quarter

Bethlehem crib on Prague Castle

In the Czech Republic Dec 25 and 26 is public holiday, so institutions like banks are closed. But do not worry you will starving, there is a lot of running restaurants and places ready to serve specially to tourists in Prague even around Christmas holidays.

Oct 19, 2006 22:48 | dawn

Hi Thanks for the information.

Where is it best to stay over xmas? Which part of Prague? Which quarter has the most going for it and why? Thanks again.

Oct 20, 2006 18:22 | Martin

If you come to Prague because of Christmas you should probably stay directly in Prague Old Town Square , so everything you have “in first touch”. It means you can not run away from Christmas carols and markets ;-) .

So, I thing it is nice to be near but not directly in the main Prague Christmas stage.

You should probably stay in the Old Town area, Lesser Town Area or New Town area. All this places are in the very centre of Prague so you can walk nearly to all tourist and Christmas attractions.

If you like some advices for accommodation in Prague so in Old Town I can recommend Hostel Aldivia, Pension Tara or Hotel Prague Expres.

In the Lesser Town I can recommend Hostel Abacus, Pension U Tri Houslicek or Hotel Biskupsky Dum.

In Prague New Town check I can recommend Hostel Golden Sickle, Hotel Novomestsky or Hotel Residence Praga 1.

The list comes from cheap accommodation to expensive.

I hope you find it helpful. Marry Prague Christmas :-) .

Martin

Oct 28, 2006 21:01 | Will

Your information is preety interesting as im taking my girlfriend to prague this mid december as a surprise. The pictues of prague at christmas look amazing with the snow.

Jun 13, 2008 17:44 | nancy johnson

Christmas is the best time to visit Prague in my opinion. It is a big holiday in Prague and it’s a special magic time of the year when the Christmas markets are open. Prague Christmas markets have a long tradition of bringing people together and share the holiday spirit and good mood. Christmas markets are full of lights and colorful decorations, Christmas music and smell of traditional hot wine, sausages and gingerbread. However a lot of tourists come to Prague at this time, that’s why you need to book Prague hotels as early as it’s possible, or else it will be full or just the most expensive rooms and hotels will be free.

Post reply | Back to topic list

Arrival: Nights: Room: Currency: Wish List ?