Hradcany Square (Hradcanske namesti)

Salmov Palace (Salmovsky palac)

The prolific structural development of Salmov Palace began in the early Middle Ages and attained its present-day appearance following reconstruction in 1800 – 1811 based on Franz Pawitschek's designs. In front of it, in 2000, Former President Vaclav Havel unveiled a bronze statue of Tomas Garrigue Masaryk, the first president of Czechoslovakia, cast by Otakar Spaniel in 1937.

Schwarzenberg Palace (Schwarzenberský palác)

Schwarzenberg Palace was built in 1546 – 1567 on the site of several old buildings. Agostino Galli designed it for Jan ml. of Lobkowicz. At the beginning of the 18th century the palace became the property of the Schwarzenbergs. It is a typical Czech Renaissance building.

Carmelite monastery (Klaster karmelitek)

The early Baroque Carmelite monastery was the result of a reconstruction of Renaissance buildings from 1654 – 1660. Carl Lurago is likely to have overseen this project, which was first carried out for an order of Barnabites. After its dissolution, the Carmelites received the monastery in 1791. The monastic Church of St. Benedict was originally a Gothic Hradcany parish church from the beginning of the 14th century. After radical Renaissance reconstruction, it was renovated in the Baroque style in the 17th and 18th centuries.

Hradcany Town Hall (Hradcanska radnice)

The town hall of the serf town of Hradcany was in an attractive location on the square, pressed close to the fortifications. It was built at the turn of the 16th and 17th centuries as a typical Renaissance burgher's home with rustic sgraffito.

Tuscany Palace (Toskansky palac)

Giacomo Antonio Canavalle built the Tuscany Palace for Michael Osvald Thun in 1689 – 1691 according to Jean Batiste Mathey's design. The palace received its name from its next owner, the Grand Duke of Tuscany. After being confiscated, the palace came into the hands of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It last underwent reconstruction work from 1994 to 1998.

Martinic Palace (Martinicky palac)

Martinic Palace was built in the second half of the 16th century as a Renaissance reconstruction of four Gothic buildings, then was expanded around 1620. The opulent sgraffito ornamentation on its facade from 1580 is connected with the most eminent of its owners, Supreme Court Judge Jan Jiri Borita of Martinic.

Sternberg Palace (Sternbersky palac)

A narrow street connects Sternberg Palace with Hradcany Square. Domenico Marinelli and Carlo Fontana were the first to design the building for the Sternbergs. It is possible that architects Jan Blazej Santini-Aichl, Christopher Dientzenhofer and Johann Bernard Fischer of Erlach also had a hand in this project. Over the course of its construction, which took place from 1698 to 1708, Giovanni Battista Alliprandi lent his talents as well.

In 1816 the Society of Patriotic Friends of the Arts bought the palace and used it as their gallery, which was the foundation of today's National Gallery. After World War II the building was once again used for art exhibitions.

Today the palace houses the National Gallery's collection of older artworks as well as its permanent exhibition of European Art from the Classical Era to the Close of the Baroque, featuring works by such great artists as A. Bronzino, G. B. Tiepolo, El Greco, F. Goya, P. P. Rubens, H. Holbein st., A. Durer. The exhibition is open daily except Monday from 10:00 to 18:00, tickets are sold only until 17:30.

http://www.ngprague.cz

Archbishop's Palace (Arcibiskupsky palac)

The Archbishop's Palace is on the site of eight former burgher homes. Florian Grispek of Griesbach first had it built after 1538. He then ceded it to the monarchy, which then passed it on to Archbishop Antonin Brus of Mohelnice.

Hans Tirol reconstructed the palace for him according to plans drawn up by Bonifaz Wolmut. In 1675 – 1679, in the hands of Archbishop Jan Bedrich of Wallenstein, the palace underwent an extensive Baroque restoration, led by Francesco Lurago according to designs by Jean Batiste Mathey. In 1764 Archbishop Petr Prichovsky had Jan Josef Wirch renovate the building in the late Baroque style.

Marian Plague Column (Mariansky morovy sloup)

When the bubonic plague raged through Prague from 1713 – 1714, a mass prayer for its dispersion took place in Hradcany Square. In 1724 - 1736, a Marian Plague Column was erected in the spot where the altar stood. The author of its architectonic composition is unknown, but Johann Ulrich Mannes did the stone-work, Frantisek Maxmilian Brokoff created the statues in 1724 – 1731, with Franz Ignaz Weiss contributing his sculptures in 1731 – 1736.

Arrival: Nights: Room: Currency: Wish List ?